In our commission lesson today we began by discussing everything that we had found out so far for our commission research in task 1. We talked through the defining points of myths, legends, fairy tales, folk stories, fables and parables, we also talked about their differences. It was promising to hear that my research seemed to match up with what everyone else in the group had found. After this Lynn presented us with one of the scripts we will be performing at the Christmas fair for our commission work. We sat down and did a group read through of the script and for the purposes of just reading what we had so far, I read for the innkeeper. After fully reading the script we then were put into small groups so that we could discuss any issues or problems that the script might have at the moment. Karolis, Sabrina and I found the technical issues of how we would create some of the more magical elements of the script such as a table that laid itself with food, a flying cudgel and the donkey which pooed pennies. However some of the group came up with a few initiative suggestions to how we can get round this. A suggestion I particularly liked was that for the table we glued the food to the underside which was concealed by a table cloth but then when it was flipped the food was revealed. For the donkey we spoke as a group that a mechanism could be made which released coins and attached to the person playing the donkey. The cudgel we thought could be made comedic by having a life of its own and controlling the person who carries it. This also solves another issue we found with the cudgel in the way that it could be a little violent for some of the younger audience members but this would hopefully solve this too. Jess came up with a good point that we would need to consider the change of locations and how we made it clear to the audience we had moved settings. A simple solution we came up with for this was to use lots of physical theatre. I think this will show to the audience the location changes, be visually interesting to watch and will require less props which is important for our show as it will be in the public on the street. This lead onto the next potential problem which my group spotted which was the staging of it. However we were informed that the space we get is given to us and we can’t chose it, meaning we will have to define the space as we are outside. The biggest problem in the script that Lynn found was that there is a point in which the Innkeeper steals the magic table and swaps it for an ordinary one. She has a feeling that if we show this then the young children might shout out that the tables have been swapped which could stop our story from going in the direction we need it to in order to progress. One way around this that we discussed could be not to actually show this part but imply it through what the Innkeeper says so that when the ending happens it is a shock that the tables have been swapped. I enjoyed the challenge of problem solving in today’s lesson and I have learnt that you really have to be aware of your audiences potential responses to a piece in order to get the reaction you want.
In our second lesson with Lynn we did some more practical work relating to our commission show. We firstly got into pairs and then stood side by side saying ‘I can’t hear you’. We then said the same thing but this time across the room and after this we did it yet again but further away and outside. It was interesting to see that after loosing our eye contact and the decline in clarity from being further away, we seemed to make up for this my making our gestures bigger and more open so that we could still be understood. We also slowed the tempo of our speech when we were outside to allow for more time to articulate. This was accompanied by larger mouth movements and a louder volume so that we could be heard and understood. I thought this was particularly useful to know and understand for our commission piece as we will be outside and as it will be at the Christmas fair there is likely to be a lot of noise from the public. This means we now know that its important to speak with extra articulation and volume whilst keeping a slower pace so that we can be understood. The last thing we did today was to stand at opposite ends of the room to our partners and speak a line of a nursery rhyme whilst they had their eyes closed. They then had to identify who had said what just by listening which also emphasised the point that we need focus on getting ourselves heard when performing which we can apply to our commission work.